A Canadian drifter with an extensive criminal background is now accused of becoming a Winnipeg serial killer.
Shawn Cameron Lamb, 52, has been charged with three counts of second-degree murder for the deaths of Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair, and Lorna Blacksmith, police announced Monday morning. Police are also investigating whether the accused could be involved in other unsolved cases of murdered or missing women, the source says.
All three women worked in the city’s sex-trade industry. Police said the bodies of Sinclair and Blacksmith have been located – reportedly in dumpsters and wrapped in plastic – while the search for Nepinak’s remains is ongoing.
Court records obtained by the Free Press show police believe Nepinak was killed Sept. 13, 2011, Sinclair was killed Dec. 18, 2011 and Blacksmith was killed Jan. 12, 2012.
Lamb has an extensive criminal history over the past 10 years, according to court documents obtained by the Free Press. They include dozens of convictions for robbery, carrying weapons, uttering threats, fraud, forgery, assaulting police officers, possessing stolen property, break-and-enter and breaching numerous court orders.
The revolving doors of justice really need to be nailed closed. It is sickening to hear that a serial killer has a criminal history like this. There were so many chances to stop him and save so many lives.
Winnipeg police Chief Keith McCaskill said Lamb was identified as a suspect in a serious sexual assault last Thursday. After he was arrested on that case, evidence came to light that tied him to the three killings.
That makes 4 recent victims, one survived in my opinion.
Guyader said a team of 24 investigators – 10 from the Winnipeg Police Service and 14 from the RCMP – are part of the ongoing investigation into the possibility other homicides may be linked to the same suspect..
McCaskill said Lamb has travelled extensively across the country and that investigators will be in contact with other police agencies to see if he is connected with any unsolved homicides in other communities.
Guyader said he could not confirm that any of the three women were involved in the sex trade. McCaskill said it’s irrelevant how the murdered women made their living.
“They are victims and they should never have been,” McCaskill said.
Guyader would not disclose where else Lamb has travelled across the country or why he travelled so much. Guyader said the bodies of Blacksmith and Sinclair are too badly decomposed to determine a cause of death or to know if they had been sexually assaulted, adding however that forensic work is being done to answer those questions.
Guyader said the families of all three women were spoken to by investigators in person late Sunday. McCaskill said AMC Grand Chief Derek Nepinak was briefed this morning.
In addition to the three killings and last week’s sex assault, Lamb is also accused of an Oct. 30, 2011 sexual assault, sexual interference and procuring of a child under the age of 18 to work in the sex-trade. He is also accused of failing to abide by a previous court order by abstaining from drugs and alcohol.
However, court records show Lamb wasn’t arrested on those charges until late May. It’s not immediately clear if, or when, he was granted bail. However, he was obviously released at some point since he was arrested in the community last Thursday.
If they had kept the bastard locked away after he was arrested the last time (not to mention al the other times) for sexual assault, sexual interference and procuring of a child under the age of 18 to work in the sex-trade there would be 3 women alive today.
Really he pimped out a child (according to the report above) and he was freed? Sexual assault still free. Not found guilty but let to walk the streets until trial!!!