Archive for the ‘ Canada True Crime ’ Category

Winnipeg Serial Killer Caught

A Canadian drifter with an extensive criminal background is now accused of becoming a Winnipeg serial killer.

Shawn Cameron Lamb, 52, has been charged with three counts of second-degree murder for the deaths of Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair, and Lorna Blacksmith, police announced Monday morning. Police are also investigating whether the accused could be involved in other unsolved cases of murdered or missing women, the source says.

All three women worked in the city’s sex-trade industry. Police said the bodies of Sinclair and Blacksmith have been located – reportedly in dumpsters and wrapped in plastic – while the search for Nepinak’s remains is ongoing.

Court records obtained by the Free Press show police believe Nepinak was killed Sept. 13, 2011, Sinclair was killed Dec. 18, 2011 and Blacksmith was killed Jan. 12, 2012.

Lamb has an extensive criminal history over the past 10 years, according to court documents obtained by the Free Press. They include dozens of convictions for robbery, carrying weapons, uttering threats, fraud, forgery, assaulting police officers, possessing stolen property, break-and-enter and breaching numerous court orders.

The revolving doors of justice really need to be nailed closed. It is sickening to hear that a serial killer has a criminal history like this. There were so many chances to stop him and save so many lives.

Winnipeg police Chief Keith McCaskill said Lamb was identified as a suspect in a serious sexual assault last Thursday. After he was arrested on that case, evidence came to light that tied him to the three killings.

That makes 4 recent victims, one survived in my opinion.

Guyader said a team of 24 investigators – 10 from the Winnipeg Police Service and 14 from the RCMP – are part of the ongoing investigation into the possibility other homicides may be linked to the same suspect..

McCaskill said Lamb has travelled extensively across the country and that investigators will be in contact with other police agencies to see if he is connected with any unsolved homicides in other communities.

Guyader said he could not confirm that any of the three women were involved in the sex trade. McCaskill said it’s irrelevant how the murdered women made their living.

“They are victims and they should never have been,” McCaskill said.

Amen

Guyader would not disclose where else Lamb has travelled across the country or why he travelled so much. Guyader said the bodies of Blacksmith and Sinclair are too badly decomposed to determine a cause of death or to know if they had been sexually assaulted, adding however that forensic work is being done to answer those questions.

Guyader said the families of all three women were spoken to by investigators in person late Sunday. McCaskill said AMC Grand Chief Derek Nepinak was briefed this morning.

In addition to the three killings and last week’s sex assault, Lamb is also accused of an Oct. 30, 2011 sexual assault, sexual interference and procuring of a child under the age of 18 to work in the sex-trade. He is also accused of failing to abide by a previous court order by abstaining from drugs and alcohol.

However, court records show Lamb wasn’t arrested on those charges until late May. It’s not immediately clear if, or when, he was granted bail. However, he was obviously released at some point since he was arrested in the community last Thursday.

If they had kept the bastard locked away after he was arrested the last time (not to mention al the other times) for sexual assault, sexual interference and procuring of a child under the age of 18 to work in the sex-trade there would be 3 women alive today.

Really he pimped out a child (according to the report above) and he was freed? Sexual assault still free. Not found guilty but let to walk the streets until trial!!!

WTF?!?!?!?!

Full story here.

“So, here’s a question: How many reminders do we need before we have a conversation about capital punishment in Canada? How many Magnottas’, in whatever form they take, will rape, defile and kill before we acknowledge that there is such a thing as pure evil.”

 

I am not Canadian so I do not know how much I can contribute to this conversation on that blog so I’m talking with myself about it here.

🙂
I do believe in and support capital punishment. I do think that there are certain people (serial killers, serial rapists, child molesters, so on) that can not be ‘fixed’. They can not contribute to a society in any meaningful way. They are and always will be a threat to anyone around them. Much like rabid dogs (and I love dogs) they should be removed from society in a permanent way. The only way that protects all of society 100% is the death penalty.

National Post | Full Comment

Ronald Turpin was a bad man. A thief, a crook, a liar and, for his final criminal act, a cop killer who shot and killed Frederick Nash, a Toronto police officer, during a routine traffic stop in Feb., 1962.

Arthur Lucas was a bad man, too, a murderer with the blood of an FBI witness and his girlfriend on his hands. The two men met in Toronto’s Don Jail where they were knotted together by history and the hangman’s noose as the last two people executed in Canada. Their sentences were carried out simultaneously on Dec. 11, 1962.

And that was it for capital punishment in this country; a messy, morally muddled business that, some would argue, debases a nation by turning the state into a killer and making all of us law-abiding folk complicit to murder. There were other more practical concerns in the case against capital punishment. A…

View original post 439 more words

Another Cleroux Victim?

Source

Ottawa police have found human remains in a forest off of Albion Road, which they believe could be linked to the case against accused serial killer Camille Cleroux.

Cleroux, 58, is accused of killing ex-wives Lise Roy and Jean Rock, as well as former neighbour Paula Leclair, over a period of two decades.

albion road and heatherington road, ottawa

Police returned to an area called the Fairlea Woods near the Trainyards neighbourhood to search for evidence connected to the trial, police say. The coroner was also at the scene Friday.

Police were also searching a second location in the same woods, about a kilometre away.

A woman at the scene who identified herself as a friend of Rock told reporters Friday she was desperate to find out if the remains were her friend’s.

The woman — who gave only her first name, Diane — said she and Rock’s family are looking for closure.

The search is expected to last a few days, police said. The remains will be sent to a Toronto forensic centre and the results may not be available for several months.

Accused killer agrees to trial

In March, Cleroux agreed to end his preliminary hearing and stand trial on three counts of first-degree murder. The hearing had originally been on hold while police examined remains found at his former home on Heatherington Road in south Ottawa.

Cleroux was arrested and charged in 2010 in the death of Leclair, 64, after her body was discovered in a wooded area south of the high-rise building on Fairlea Crescent where she lived.

Cleroux lived in the same apartment building as Leclair and had taken over her apartment, prompting her son to report her missing.

He was later charged in the deaths of two former wives. His first wife, Roy, disappeared in 1990, and his second wife, Rock, was last seen in 2003.

Source

“Be Aware, vigilant and safe.”

After issuing an unprecedented public safety warning to women Friday, Ottawa Police Chief Vern White refused to rule out the possibility that a serial killer is targeting the city’s street prostitutes.

With the downtown aboriginal women’s centre Minwaashin as a backdrop, White urged all women to be increasingly “aware, vigilant and safe,” but refused to say what had prompted the sudden warning.

He did reveal to reporters that investigators have identified “a pattern” in the homicides of city prostitutes, but repeatedly refused to go into detail, suggesting instead that an investigation into the murders was still in its early stages.

The safety warning was White’s initiative and not the result of a request from groups involved with helping prostitutes.

Minwaashin Lodge front line support worker Kimberley Mansfield told the Citizen late Friday that she doesn’t know what prompted White to issue the warning, but noted that women in the Ottawa sex trade have been “uneasy for some time.”

“In light of recent murders and injuries to various women, there is a sense that there is someone who is targeting women,” said Mansfield, who figures only 25 per cent of violent attacks against prostitutes are reported to police.

White said he wasn’t ready to discuss the police investigation.

“I am here at Minwaashin Lodge to speak to Ottawa residents about concerns the Ottawa police has for women’s safety,” he said.

“Our major crime investigators have recently identified a pattern with homicides involving sex-trade workers in our community.

“I am asking women, particularly those involved in the sex trade, to be vigilant and exercise good safety practices,” he added.

White said police don’t yet know whether they are investigating a general pattern of violence toward prostitutes perpetrated by several people or whether one person is responsible.

“There will be a time when we have more information, but it’s not today.”

There have been a spate of attacks against Ottawa prostitutes since the summer of last year and women involved in the street-level sex trade – estimated to be at least 250 in the Vanier-ByWard Market areas.

Jennifer Stewart, 36, was found dead in a Vanier parking lot in August 2010.

Kelly Morrisseau, 27 and pregnant, was found naked and bleeding in a parking lot near Gatineau Park in 2006. She died in hospital and an autopsy showed she had been stabbed at least 12 times while trying to fight off her attacker.

Both were aboriginal and both were knifed to death, evoking the chilling spectre of Jack the Ripper, the notorious late 19thcentury British killer who murdered at least five prostitutes in London, but was never caught.

Prostitutes have complained about two particularly vicious clients.

One flashed a phoney police badge and demanded free sex, threatening arrest if the prostitute refused. The other apparently raped prostitutes at knifepoint.

There are 41 unsolved murders on the Ottawa police books, including several prostitute killings.

The latest involved Leeanne Lawson, who was found dead in a parking lot near King Edward Avenue in September.

There have been other attacks against prostitutes, including one particularly vicious assault, also in September, when a woman was almost strangled. A suspect in that case is in custody charged with attempted murder.

White said his officers will be intensifying efforts at the street level to ensure prostitutes are aware of the safety warning and will use various social service agencies to spread the word.

Outreach worker Mansfield said women are reluctant to report being attacked because they are “criminalized” and fearful of the consequences if they go to police.

“There are various reasons why they don’t report, but being criminalized poses all sorts of other barriers when it comes to reporting attacks. The flaws lie within the criminalization of prostitution.”

Improving the relationship between police and prostitutes is vital, she added.

“There are several really effective officers with the Ottawa force who endeavour to have a good, open communication and dialogue with the women involved in survival sex,” she said.

“One of the most important things we can do is have women feel comfortable and safe enough to go to police to make a report.”

Read more

How Many Victims Still A Mystery in Ottawa

OTTAWA – The hunt for human remains resumed Wednesday in a south-Ottawa neighbourhood as cops investigating accused serial killer Camille Cleroux began digging at a new location.

Police taped off an expansive wooded area bordering a playground on the same street where a construction crew discovered human remains on Oct. 31 in the backyard of a home Cleroux once lived in.

Police said the investigation into that grisly discovery led them to the new site across the road.

No human remains had been found so far, police said, but the dig is expected to continue at least until Friday.

Cleroux was charged with first-degree murder after the body of Paula Leclair, 64, was found in a wooded area in May 2010. Cleroux had moved into Leclair’s apartment and told her son that she had won the lottery and travelled to Mexico.

The following month he was also charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two other women: Jean Rock, 32; and Lise Roy, 27.

Roy, who was married to Cleroux, disappeared two decades ago; Rock, his common-law spouse, disappeared 13 years ago. Neither body has been found.

Area residents are shocked and worried another body could potentially be unearthed in their otherwise quiet neighbourhood, which is home to many families.

Jocelyne Mudenge was headed to work when she saw the heavy police presence at the park, and heard human remains may have been discovered.

“It’s scary to know that kind of thing could be happening in your backyard,” said Mudenge. “Murder? Serial killer? You see it on TV but you don’t think it could happen in real life.”

Esther Madzingo just moved into the area.

“It just makes me feel like I have to leave the neighbourhood,” she said. “I’m not safe here.”

An excavator was digging a large patch of grass among trees on Wednesday where investigators stopped to flag areas of interest.

“When we’re dealing with investigations like this, it’s one of the last opportunities for the truth to be told,” said Insp. Mike Callaghan. ” It’s very necessary for us to ensure that we’re doing everything that we can.”

Police again brought in archaeological experts to help with the dig. Any remains found will be forwarded to a forensic science centre in Toronto.

Police said this case has been flagged a top priority. Any identification could take weeks, or even months.

Video and article here.

Another Article Here.

One of the odd things about this case is that Cleroux killed people that he knew pretty well. Most serial killers don’t.

Sweeping ban imposed on case of accused B.C. serial killer

PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — A sweeping ban has been slapped on any information dealing with the case of an accused serial killer from the Prince George, B.C., area.

The ban was issued Wednesday when Cody Alan Legebokoff appeared in B.C. Supreme Court to face four counts of first-degree murder.

The ban prohibits publication or broadcast of anything discussed in court related to the case, other than what is presented to a jury.

Legebokoff is charged in the deaths of Jill Stuchenko, 35, Cynthia Maas, 35, Loren Leslie, 15, and the disappearance of 23-year-old Natasha Lynn Montgomery.

At a hearing last week, Crown lawyer Lara Vizsolyi could not say when a trial might begin, but she said it will cover all four charges and will likely run between six months and a year.

The Crown has elected to proceed by direct indictment, meaning there will be no preliminary hearing and the matter will go straight to a trial before a Prince George jury.

Photos and more here.

I am hoping that this ban is to protect the families and survivors not the accused.

I doubt that is why but I can hope.

Humans Remains Found At Serial Killer’s Home

The preliminary inquiry for an Ottawa man accused of killing three women may be put on hold as police are now investigating the discovery of human remains at a former home of the accused.

Camille Cleroux, 57, is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of three women over several years.

He is accused in the 2010 death of 64-year-old Paula Leclair, whose body was found June 2010, as well as two former spouses, Lisa Roy, 27, who disappeared in 1999 and Jean Rock, 32, who has not been seen since 2003.

While Leclair’s body has been found, the bodies of the other two women have not.

Preliminary inquiries are held to determine if there is enough evidence for a case to go to trial.

A construction crew that was digging in the backyard of what neighbours said was once Cleroux’s former home found human remains on Monday.

The Crown attorney told CBC News on Wednesday the dig behind Unit 153 at 1535 Heatherington Rd. was purely coincidental and was not motivated by the charges against Cleroux.

Specialized forensic units have been on the scene since Monday collecting samples and sifting through debris for any potential evidence.

Police officials said it could take a few more days before they complete their work at the Heatherington Road townhouse.

According to the coroner, it appeared the remains had been buried for several years.

Article

%d bloggers like this: